The Gloucester Mathews Middlesex Real Estate Board was founded on February 20, 1959, with five (5) members and a charter from the National Association of REALTORS®.
- In 1980 the name was changed to Gloucester-Mathew-Middlesex Board of REALTORS®, Inc.
- In 1991 the name was amended to Gloucester- Mathews-Middlesex Association of REALTORS®.
- In 1994 the name was changed to Middle Peninsula Association of REALTORS®, Inc.
- In 1998 the name was changed to our current name Chesapeake Bay & Rivers Association of REALTORS® (CBRAR).
- In 2009, the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) was separated from the association and a subsidiary CBRAR Property Services, Inc. was formed.
The two companies are governed with Bylaws and a Board of Directors that follow mandates and core standards established by the National Association of REALTORS®.
The CBRAR Board of Directors is composed of volunteer REALTOR® members that are elected each year by the membership. Property Services’ board of directors are appointed by the President of CBRAR.
CBRAR is a 501(c)(6), trade organization with over 300 members consisting of REALTORS®, appraisers, and real estate industry affiliates.
CBRAR Property Services, Inc. is a for profit C Corporation with over 475 subscribers.
In 2018 CBRAR Property Services, Inc. (CBRAR MLS) formed a partnership with the Richmond’s Central Virginia Regional MLS, LLC (CVR MLS) known as the Virginia MLS Cooperative which through one database affords our members exposure to 6,000 REALTORS®. The collective service area for the Virginia MLS CoOp is: The cities of Richmond, Hopewell, Petersburg and Colonial Heights, and the Counties of Gloucester, Mathews, Middlesex, King William, Chesterfield, Dinwiddie, Goochland, Hanover, Henrico, Powhatan, Prince George, Charles City, New Kent, Greensville, Surry and Sussex, and the Town of West Point.